Our Best TOP 9 Fish Scales Pick
- Piscifun Digital Scale – Just Editor’s choice. Best electronic digital scale.
- Berkley BTDFS50-1 – Best state-of-the-art accurate digital fish scales model.
- KastKing – Best water resistant digital fishing scale with ruler.
- Dr. Meter PS01 Electronic Balance Digital Fishing Hanging Hook Scale – One of the best and low cost, as well as precise and accurate digital scale model currently available on the market.
- Entsport Fish Lip Gripper Fish Scales – Best non-slip handle stainless steel grip model for the money.
- Fiblink Portable Fish with Scale – Exclusive easy-to-operate one-hand sturdy unique hooks grip retractable lanyard model.
- Eastaboga Scale Tool – Tradition rules! No digital technologies yet the best old good analog device!
- Rapala Tube Scale – Not bad at all! No worries about batteries or electronic failures – the scales are a reliable all-purpose model for the budget and perfect performance.
- Best Rapala Touch Screen Tournament Fish Scale – Professional tournament scales to be used at tournaments and contests; great touch- screen model, although sun radiation and heat should be concerned while used. Popular digital fish scale model.
Digital Fish Scale Compared
|Preview:||Digital Scale:||Loading Capacity:||Price:|
|Piscifun Digital Scale|
Powerful and water-resistant
Ergonomic and water-resistant
|55 lbs/23 kg||$$|
|KastKing Water Resistant Scale|
Great digital fish scale with ruler
|110 lbs/50 kg||$$$|
Good cheap scale
perfect for night fishing
|Rapala Touch Screen Tourney Scale|
Great product from Rapala
Large Screen, 3 weight options
Regular Fish Scale Compared
|Preview:||Regular Scale:||Loading Capacity:||Price:|
|Entsport Fish Lip Gripper Fish Scales|
Professional fish holder
Easy to use, corrosion-resistant
|Fiblink Portable Fish with Scale|
Corrosion-resistant and quality stainless steel tool
|Eastaboga Fishing Scale Tool|
The American made extremely useful fishing tool.
But the most expensive
|Rapala Tube Scale|
A lower priced option from Rapala.
Stainless steel hook and aluminum tube.
What are Fish Scales? Why do Anglers Look for Their Best Digital Fish Scale?
As a matter of fact, any fishing scales may be described as a special device used by fishermen to weigh and at times to measure a fish that they have proudly caught. Fish scales have been used since long ago and treated as a special fish tackle device.
So, to get an idea of why you need such a device to be kept within your fishing gear, just try to remember how often you regretted the lack of scales when you were holding a trophy fish to be weighted in your hands. Chances are, having been in such situations as often as for at least a couple of times, you would not make the decision to permanently carry with you while setting out for a fish.
Early Fish Scales Genesis
Like each and every professional device, fish scales have their written and oral, both long and well-documented history. The first accounts of this invention go back as far as the 19th century, and then the devices gradually became extremely popular, having got the form and functions we so well know nowadays, in the early 1900s.
No one will ever deny the fact that very first installments of the kind would look a rudimentary thing for us right now. Yet nobody would dispute another fact: they really did their job!
As the most important detail of their earliest construction, a metal spring usually served to do all the jobs in the scales. In terms of mechanics, that spring primarily told the desired number, being assisted in all that by a specially designed metal hook for the catch to be loaded on there. Numbering grades were applied to the scales housing to graphically specify the exact weight of the fish. As soon as you got your catch hanged on a hook, the scales were positioned vertically to then weight the fish. The catch here actually pulled against the spring’s pressure, and thus the number on the scale, corresponding to that pressure, told the exact catchweight. A standard scale item would always be tested prior to being used, which was regularly undertaken to ensure the accuracy of the scales, that is to confirm the spring’s pressure matched the correct pressure/weight actually known to the tester.
Further Evolution of Fish Scales
You can see many different old/vintage principle mechanical scales with springs nowadays in use around there. Although it should be stressed fishing scales undergone capital evolutionary changes recently. In other words, most fish scale devices now went digital.
Being altered like that, they slightly added to their overall precision and accuracy, like measuring down to an ounce, while weighing trophies. Digital fish scales have been reported by anglers as an extremely handy and only proofing tool to stand for their big catch rights after it is landed.
No secret, the device comes handy and lawful to abide by the local rules, and when tournament fishing and, last but not least, to provide your personal achievements record to keep with your documentation!
What Does the Best Digital Fish Scale Mean?
The truth is this digital device is capable of determining the exact weight of the fish you caught with higher accuracy than any other (mechanically driven) rivals; hence the advantages of this version. Specifically, a unique feature of such a device is that there are special sensors built-in to provide for better results and greater accuracy. These are capable of accurately measuring even the tiniest fish species if required. These fish scales remind of the older mechanical measuring devices by their looks. Like in older ones, a frontal display on these is used to read the measuring results. A metal hook for the catch is characteristic of this specific model.
Experienced anglers going after especially large fish as their trophies know that this sort of scales is great because of the grip mounted on this one. As a rule, this special grip is stainless steel and goes with the scales instead of a hook. The construction of this features a plastic housing with electronic elements inside of it. The housing works as a protective cover to keep the electronics inside unharmed and safe under unfavorable conditions (mostly against moisture). You will pay attention to the special e-gauges with a functional built-in memory option here. Those anglers who are carefully keeping their catch record will appreciate this option. Featured are here also the so-called sensor scales to allow not only one individually caught fish to be weighted, yet the entire catch for your proud accounts. These scales will come handy while weighing heavy fish species (up to 50 kilos).
As a regular electronic device, these are powered by a 9-volt battery. All models provide for their automatic shutdown as soon as the scale goes out of action. The time period within this takes place varies from one and a half to four minutes. As a rule, there is a backlight mounted on the device, and sometimes even a small built-in flashlight can be installed. Continuous operation is ensured and there is an indication of a low battery for you to monitor your batteries. In addition, many manufacturers are offering their extras like memorizing the last ten weights or allow you to deduct the empty tare weight from the overall weight of your catch.
As one more extra feature, a digital thermometer is added in some models to determine the air temperature. Now and then a compact measuring tape goes with it for measuring the size of your trophy.
Thus a unique diversity can be enjoyed with these, an angler has his perfect opportunity to choose and pick the right scales perfectly suitable for the required performance and functionality of the device.
How does it work?
To make a long story short, all fishing enthusiasts were and are always interested to know the weight of their catch. To scale their fish, fishermen got used to a specially-engineered device, that is to say, a fishing scale, with which the exact weight of the fish is easily and instantly determined. Such scales could become especially important right on the spot when hunting for a variety of species: very often you will have to justify your right for the catch based on local legal requirements (when a specific legally allowed size and lengths for the catch to keep required).
When it goes about fishing tournaments, the latter usually have their own officially acquired methods of weighing fish. Regularly, all the methods are subdivided into those when a single fish is weighed at one time, and those when the whole catch is weighed using some different (larger) fish scale. No doubt, those larger scales are enormous to be carried! Nevertheless, their smaller versions currently available with leading manufacturers are nearly of the same accuracy as the professional tournaments models!
Having that in mind, one needs to remember: all scales you may use should be the required type and have all the specific features necessary, as well as they must meet a number of curtain critical requirements.
By this review, we are going to give you the most detailed info and to cover some of the best fishing scales currently available on the market. We are also aiming at giving you advice on how to properly use the scales reviewed, and much more. Let us underline the fact, the anglers whose accounts we used while compiling this article shared their reasons with us.
What are the Most Desired Fishing Scales?
- Best Fish Scale must be nothing less than sufficiently accurate.
- Best Fishing Scales must be a compact and lightweight item in all cases.
- Seek for the scales that are specifically shockproof and stable action.
- Seek for the scales with a clearly readable display.
Here we go! Read through and make your informed choice!
Fish Scale Reviews
The below Reviews are based on the most up-to-date Best Fishing Scale anglers feedback:
Electronic Piscifun Digital Scale Riview
Here go the best electronic fish scale from one of the most popular and valued by anglers Piscifun brand. Perfectly balanced. powerful and extremely durable, ready to weigh your catch, these are our Editor’s choice item to be highly recommended!
- Featuring high-grade stainless steel construction of ultimate durability while being operated both in saltwater- and freshwater environments, 60 lb load capacity option to fit your requirements;
- Notorious Brand Item to feel proud of and rely upon!
- Designed as a water-proof model to withstand any rough fishing conditions, this Piscifun fish gripper comes in a completely safe-seal package; Heavily tested in all-weather action prior to being distributed;
- Ultimate water-resistant even if dropped into water for longer exposure;
- Featuring a relatively large progressive LCD built-in easy-readable scale to be used at night;
- Unique scale construction to rotate 360 degrees for your best comfort and ultimate control;
- Patented push-button functions for your easy action reading modes (lb/kg/ounce) selection;
- Memory backing (memory save) function to memorize up to ten weights;
- Automatic shut-off function;
- Low-battery indication;
- Item powered by AAA batteries (2 pcs included);
- Ultimate quality, reasonable pricing, exclusive customer support service and manufacturer’s warranty for a year!
- Up to 60 lbs/27 kilos capacity.
Berkley Digital Fish Scale Review
Meet the nearly state-of-the-art ultimate accuracy digital fish scale offered by one of the oldest manufacturers: Berkley Digital Fish Scale has been since long ago in this game! These will do all the job just perfectly!
- Progressive design and advanced construction featuring an ergonomic housing of the coolest fishing scales ever!
- Put your trophies to the back-up memory – ten weights to be automatically stored;
- Different measuring system scale display;
- Safe and comfortable to use with both fish and tackle;
- Best and comfortable grip while weighting thanks to the ergonomic solutions applied when engineered;
- Overall water-proof construction realized here;
- Multiple-catch function available/tare-plus/minus option available.
KastKing Water Resistant Digital Fishing Scale with Ruler Review
With this model, you’ll get a perfect electronic fish scale with ruler to weigh and measure your fish after a long hunting day or prove your right just on the spot! Easy switch between pounds/ounces/kilos/lbs modes and utilize its extremely durable one of the strongest frame from ABS plastic with non-slip handle and, what is more essential, a 38-inch retractable measuring tape!
- Revolutionary new item to feature a water-proof electronic fishing scales model with ruler for both experienced and novice;
- Easy-to-check weight function allows not only the direct application: use the scales for your tackle mass check or luggage proof, in the field or about the house, etc.;
- Featuring a 38-inch retractable tape to ensure your successful performance as a dual-mode action: both weighing and measuring your catch!
- Get ultimate accuracy and high power all in one, being now capable of weighing of up to 50 kilos/110 lbs fish species and measuring length at the same time;
- Great memory function for your quick and accurate weights stored in a variety of measuring units available here: easy store at least 9 weights for your any time easy access and reference!
- Exclusively lightweight;
- Ultimately durable and ready to act under cold weather conditions and what not!
- Featuring one of the strongest frame/housing with a handle which features both non-slip and firm-grip ultimate capacity – its overall special coating prevents slipping;
- Featuring an ultra-strong stainless steel hook capable of withstanding an excessive load;
- Multiple application granted: fish, luggage, package, etc.;
- Compact but powerful; operated by 2 AAA batteries;
- Modern digital display for easy reading;
- Auto-off function to turn off the scale after the 4-minute no-action performance.
Dr. Meter Electronic/Digital Fishing Hanging Hook Scale Review
The growing popularity of this model is actually based on its digital features. Both expert anglers and leisure fishermen will definitely appreciate its accuracy and reasonable pricing. Even under the toughest examination, we’ve got the smallest number of readings discrepancy compared to that of the real/actual weight. Excellent results, aren’t they?
- Convenient, comfortable, accurate and portable application to be comfortably carried; powered by AAA batteries (factory checked and included);
- Featuring a special all-metal grip for your better performance;
- Great variety of weights to be determined;
- LCD screen model featuring the variety of weight-measuring options to be displayed;
- Goes with the special measuring tape for perfect results while measuring the length of your trophy;
- Progressive system of turning on, locking data, automatically turning off the device when needed;
- Featuring a concealed position durable metal hook attached (stainless steel).
- Up to 110 lbs/50 kilos capacity.
Professional Entsport Fish Lip Gripper with Weight Scale Review
Meet an ultimately portable best non-slip easy-grip handle fish lip gripper with a weight scale option currently available! Although being one of the smallest items out there, the scale goes as a professionally sporting item to be widely used and proved to be extremely popular amongst those who really appreciate a nice grip and a perfect performance.
- Whole-steel construction to perform just greatly;
- Corrosion-free water-resistant solutions applied here;
- High quality and exclusive reliability;
- Easy-grip wide-opening handle of extra performance characteristics; featuring a lever to quick-release the load;
- Unique finishing for the non-slip action handle;
- Featuring an adjustable wrist strap for better comfort and safety;
- One-hand operation mode and firm grip granted!
- Progressive easy-to-use and easy-to-handle design;
- Operates with loads of up to 15 kilos;
- Excellent usability and ultimate durability!
Fiblink Fish Lip Grabber Scale Review
- Advanced classical performance traditional fish-scale model to enjoy;
- Featuring a sturdy and actual design construction;
- Stainless steel and corrosion-free/water-resistant durable option;
- Extended durability and accuracy;
- Operates in both saltwater- and freshwater;
- Ultimately easy-to-use features: one-hand operation, firm grip, non-slip handle;
- Featuring a pre-set spring-driven switch positioned so that your finger will never be caught by a fish;
- Featuring a 360-degree swivel safe grip handle to prevent any damage and reduce fatigue;
- Specially engineered unique grip hooks for the wide opening of the fish jaws;
- Featuring a smart two-units of measurements integrated scale;
- Up to 40 lbs load capacity.
Eastaboga Tackle BogaGrip Gripper Scale Review
This is the scales option widely recommended through all the media, as well as highly praised by numerous expert- and leisure fishermen. Withstands enormously tough conditions, heavily applied while demonstrating extreme efficiency, accuracy, and durability. No digital components used here! The whole thing is a super sturdy construction for your life-long application, great classical analog scales overall to perform greatly!
- Certified construction and practically verified accuracy;
- Stainless housing to perform perfectly in extremes will charm you!
- Variety of weights to be determined; overall compact size;
- Relatively lightweight item currently available on the market;
- Demonstrating its exclusively unique feature to handle fish out in the cold; hard-to-handle application performance granted!
- Both readable and flexible solutions applied here for your better safety and comfort;
- Featured is a specially designed trigger: this is used to pull the jaws open;
- Proudly manufactured in the US with US local tooling and materials applied;
- Featuring stainless steel and plastic parts of the last generation for exclusive durability and high performance.
Tube Rapala Fish Weighing Scale
Be sure with this one you’ll get a perfect device right from the box! Should you bother to verify its accuracy back at home after buying the scale from the shop, you’ll find the results of your research more than satisfying: it comes pre-set and functions perfectly right from the box! Forget about your dead batteries or something: the thing is not digital at all! Nothing more than a reliable analog scale to efficiently use and feel like proudly boasting of the catch. Сan be even handy at workshop or at home!
- Simple and reliable scales to perfectly do all the job for you!
- Stainless steel used on the hook;
- Aluminum protective tubing to protect the spring and the handle;
- Variety of measuring readings;
- Specially designed marker slide for the accurate g/kilo/oz/pound/readings;
- Lightweight, durable and easy-to-use construction;
- Great buy for a reasonable price!
- Up to 13 lbs/7 kilos capacity.
Best Rapala Touch Screen Tournament Fish Scale Review
This one comes handy while doing the job at professional conventions and tournaments. It became extremely popular, although the screen on it will require a bit more effort to learn the operation: the functions are quite a few here and provided that you are an experienced tournament participant/operator, it will be not difficult to learn and adjust the resulting figures. The difficulty may come due to sun radiation. When exposed to the sun for longer periods, the scale may read differently. Needs some experience.
- Cost-effective efficient scale item for tournaments;
- Featuring operation mode with the help of a large screen (tough-screen model);
- Stainless steel hook with specially designed weight clamp to hold the catch;
- Featured is the back-up memory function;
- Item is water-proof and versatile;
- Featuring a specific 3-weight options display;
- Featuring a backlight ready for the action;
- Unique function to deduct the tare weight available.
- Up to 15 lbs/8 kilos capacity.
Where to Buy a Fish Scale?
To tell you the truth, the option is all yours: feel free to drop in at some brand shop selling tackle or visit the nearest sporting goods shop for your very own fishing scales. Make sure you are not missing your chance to order these from an online shop! Search for these here and there, keep calm and stay on your budget!
Read through our reviews here, follow the links, and you’ll get the very thing you need!
What should I look for when buying?
The first thing to remember and keep in mind: your new scales should be well-protected against moisture. Easy and smart usage is the next parameter to check. It is worth checking the accuracy stated in the documents. You need to focus on the capacity to measure/determine load characteristic of the certain model – different models come up with different capacities.
Things to remember when purchasing:
- Any model you are about to buy should be checked for a measuring tape. This you will need to record your weights. We strongly recommend this to track your legally concerned trophies.
- If calibrated correctly, your new scales will come accurate right from the box; check for it in the specs; calibrated are highly recommended!
- A great idea will be to get scales with memory function! Easy way to have the total for your daily catch in this case memorized.
- Check the specs of your new scales for whether it will float when dropped to the water (out of boat etc.). Many of the models currently available on the market will do, yet it would be a good idea to get a lanyard just in case of all the rest.
- Look for the scales with some grip for your better handling comfort. The fact is nearly all the models are items to perform with high sensitivity, thus a good hold will be a must to provide for better or perfect results. This will also help you in maintaining a reliable (stable) handgrip after a long day of hunt when your hand may go trembling while weighing your daily catch.
Caring for your Fish Scales. Is it an issue?
As a matter of fact, fish scales do not regularly need much special care or maintenance for many years of their heavy service. This is not an issue, but there are a few things you do need to care about:
- Always make sure you replaced old batteries after they went out of action;
- Never store your scales with batteries inside for long periods out of operation;
- Always dry and wipe off the scales before storing them after being used;
- Randomly test your fish scales on some known weight to check if calibrated correctly;
- Once a year send your scales for professional calibration for perfect readings and operation.